If Loving Fashion is a Crime, I Plead Guilty

Thursday, October 28, 2010

Letter from A Battered Woman

Letter from A Battered Woman
Supporting Domestic Violence Awareness month


Please do not judge domestic violence victims. They may have to pay with their lives

Dear court personnel, police personnel, domestic violence advocates, judges, attorneys, friends and family:

Please do not judge me. Please do not ask me why I stay. Please do not say that you will never let a man do this to you. You just do not understand my world and me. You do not understand how difficult my life is and you do not understand that I am looking to you for support and help.
Please try to understand my life is in constant turmoil. My life is not my own and I did not choose this life. (Even though you might think that I have created this abuse.) I choose to love someone who believes that he is entitled by society, family or heritage to treat me this way. He also believes that he will never be accountable for his actions or behavior. I am looking to you for help and support.
Here is my life. Daily, I am faced with mood swings and contempt. In fact, I most of the time, I am not even sure what “crime” I committed to deserve this abuse. So, every day, I walk on eggs hoping and praying that I will do everything in my life right and answer correctly if asked a question and respond immediately when I get a request. Yet, in this man’s mind, I am ALWAYS wrong and that is his reason for abusing me. If only I paid the bills right (I never got a late notice) or kept the house clean (Everyone comments they do not know how my house is so spotless), then he would not have to react this way. If only I did not behave like a child, then he would not have to punish me. I am looking to you for help and support.
Let’s talk about when things get tough. When the violence begins to escalate here is what I am faced with. I am the ruination of my teenage daughter because I did not agree with HIS child-rearing position. (She is 17 with a 3.9 index and applying to Ivy League schools.) I am “reaping what I sow” because my 2 year old son is throwing a temper tantrum. I cannot drive HIS car because I only know how to trash things. (I have been in one car accident as a result of weather conditions). His version of comprise is doing it his way and agreeing with him 100% and never asking him for anything because he has given me such a wonderful life. I am looking to you for help and support.
I can tell you that this man is a pillar of the community. He is educated and well liked and the judge and court personnel probably think that I am abusing the system. I can tell you that I am not. I am also an educated professional. (I could be your neighbor, your child’s friend’s mother or your co-worker) I am trying to be safe and stay alive. I am staying with him with a broken spirit, low self-esteem and no confidence because I want my children to have a mother. I am looking to you for help and support.
So I am asking you to be compassionate and open minded when I come file a complaint or ask the judge for a restraining order. If I withdraw the complaint, it is under duress and constant pressure. I really do not want to face him in the courtroom because I will have to pay for it later. I may have to pay with my life. I am looking to you for help and support.

Sincerely,

A battered woman

Read more about Domestic violence



Deliver me, out of my sadness.
Deliver me, from all of the madness.
Deliver me, courage to guide me.
Deliver me, strength from inside me.

All of my life I've been in hiding.
Wishing there was someone just like you.
Now that you're here, now that I've found you,
I know that you're the one to pull me through.


Deliver me, loving and caring.
Deliver me, giving and sharing.
Deliver me, the cross that I'm bearing.


All of my life I was in hiding.
Wishing there was someone just like you.
Now that you're here, now that I've found you,
I know that you're the one to pull me through.


Deliver me,
Deliver me,
Oh deliver me.


All of my life I was in hiding.
Wishing there was someone just like you.
Now that you're here, now that I've found you,
I know that you're the one to pull me through.


Deliver me,
Oh deliver me.
Won't you deliver me.

No comments:

Post a Comment